Chicken soup may be a quintessential winter comfort food, but this reimagined version of the popular dish is ideal for hot summer days.
A well-balanced list of ingredients like cilantro, avocado, cumin and red pepper make up the soup’s combination of hot and cool flavors while pieces of shredded chicken give it substance.
There are actually 2 simple secrets for making this soup really, really delicious. First, you’ll want to use the best, most flavorful vegetables and herbs you can find. And second, you’ll want to make it with homemade bone broth as opposed to the canned or boxed broth you might find at the supermarket.
My notes on bone broth are below along with a link to the recipe I like best.
For those on paleo diets, this soup is for you! It’s grain-fee, gluten-free and contains no dairy.
- Shredded meat from an organic, free range chicken
- Olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups green onions, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 garden tomato, diced
- 4 – 5 cups of chicken bone broth
- 1/8 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Avocado slices
- 2 organic limes
- Prepare and set aside shredded chicken
- Prepare vegetables and herbs by chopping, mincing and measuring; set aside
- Using a large stock pot, heat 1 tbsp of olive oil over medium heat
- When the oil is hot, add the chopped green onions and minced garlic to pot; Sauté until fragrant.
- Next, add the diced tomato; Sauté until the tomato is soft and stir
- Add bone broth, cumin, and salt to pot and stir
- Add the red pepper flakes
- Stir and bring to a boil
- Once the soup reaches a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes with a lid
- After 15 minutes, add the cooked shredded chicken, mix well and reduce heat to low.
- The soup is ready when the chicken is warm (a few minutes)
- The soup can be ladled into bowls and garnished with slices of avocado. Serve with sliced limes.
- I highly recommend planning this recipe for a week when you plan to have roasted chicken for dinner since all of the left overs will be put to good use (the broth and shredded chicken filler for the soup).
- Get my favorite bone broth recipe here.
- Want to know more about why bone broth is so good for you? Read about it here.
A few pics of the process…..