After taste-testing a few batches, I can safely say this pumpkin custard is not only paleo-approved, it’s absolutely delicious! And if you are entertaining paleo guests for Thanksgiving dinner, this uncomplicated dessert is sure to be a winner!
1-15 ounce can pumpkin puree
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
Zest from half of 1 organic lemon
1/2 cup organic honey
1/2 cup crushed pecans
Coconut whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Whisk all of the ingredients together in a bowl and mix thoroughly
- Pour pumpkin batter into 5 to 6 porcelain ramekins and place in the preheated oven on top of cookie sheet
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes
- Remove from oven and cool completely before adding toppings
- Top each dessert with crushed pecans and homemade or store-bought coconut whipped cream
- Bake until custard is set on the outside and slightly jiggly in the center, similar to pumpkin pie.
- Consider making your own coconut whipped cream using the recipe here or look for the So Delicious brand shown in the photo below at Whole Foods. I found mine at a Whole Foods store in Houston, TX.